Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 14 - Catch Up - Genesis 10 - 45

Genesis 10 – 45 A Catch Up Look




Since the beginning of blogs I have been an avid follower of certain blogs. One frustration I have had is when the blog is not updated on a regular basis. Now I understand why. I have gone eleven days without posting. I sincerely apologize. Hence the catch-up phrase. This much of the following commentary is strictly my perspective.

Chapter 11 deals with the Tower of Babel. We are told at this time the entire “earth had one language and the same words”. (Genesis 11:1 ESV) Now God came down, looked around and determine that man was attempting to gain all the knowledge of God. So the language was confused. And it remains so even though man still tries to establish himself as Gods equal.

Now comes on the scene The father of the patriarchs Abram (Abraham). Abraham was indeed a man of great faith. It seems the Lord spoke and Abraham responded as told. Can you say with confidence that you would move your family to an unknown place or that you would kill your son because God told you to. I think most of us would have to struggle with this.

It is true that God made a covenant with Abraham and that He blessed him in many ways.
I realize that Abraham lived in a different time and culture than your humble host. However, I think this is another example of God using a flawed individual in a powerful way. Genesis 12:10 – 13 “..So Abram went down to Egypt to sojourn there, for the famine was severe in the land. 11When he was about to enter Egypt, he said to Sarai his wife, “I know that you are a woman beautiful in appearance, 12and when the Egyptians see you, they will say, ‘This is his wife.’ Then they will kill me, but they will let you live. 13Say you are my sister, that it may go well with me because of you, and that my life may be spared for your sake.” (ESV) I may be off base but it seems to me that this is a rather cowardly action, to hide behind your wife to save your own life. What do you thin?

Some fundamentalist support this sort of action with their attitude toward women.

(To be Continued)

No comments: